A few months ago I ran across a sign that read, “Louisiana girls are made of sugar and spice and red beans and rice.” That saying basically sums it up for me 😉 This is a family recipe (modified for our plant based diet) and Nate and I have been cooking it regularly for over 3 years. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- 1lb red beans (soaked the night before cooking)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 sticks of celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 package plant based sausage (we use Tofurky)
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon of Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning (optional, but delicious)
1. Put soaked red beans in a crock pot and fill with water. The water should be about one inch above the beans.
2. Prep vegetables and sausage.
3. Cut sausage and cook in pan over medium heat. I generally like to cook the sausage until browned. When it is done cooking, add it to the crock pot.
4. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery to pan and cook over medium heat until soft.
5. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (generally less than 2 minutes).
6. Dump cooked vegetables into crockpot.
7. Be sure the water barely covers everything. Too much water and it will be runny, too little and it will be dry.
8. Add all seasonings.
9. Cook for 8 hours on low or for 5 hours on high. The longer it cooks, the better.
10. Serve over rice with Tony’s. Enjoy! 🙂