A veggie bowl can be made a number of ways and with a variety of ingredients. Below is a version that I have found to be delicious and easy. I recommend reading the “Tips” section at the end of this post before cooking or buying ingredients.
I’m not a fan of long posts, so let’s get straight to it!
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 14-oz package of extra firm tofu, drained and pressed (It is important to not skip the pressing step. If you do not have a tofu press, here is another option)
- 1 cup dry quinoa*
- 4-5 cups of broccoli florets
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 8 oz package of baby bella mushrooms, sliced (Roughly 2 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp Tony’s seasoning (plus a bit more for the tofu)
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Tahini Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup tahini sauce
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tsp Tony’s seasoning
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start with cooking the quinoa. If this is new to you, here is the recipe I use.
- While quinoa is cooking, combine broccoli florets and chopped carrots in a large bowl. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and stir to coat. Add garlic powder, onion powder, Tony’s, salt and pepper and stir, coating the veggies evenly. Spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Add sliced mushroom to same bowl. Add 1/2 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir to coat. Spread evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (you will likely have to use two separate sheets as you don’t want the veggies to be crowded).
- Preheat oven to 420°F.
- While oven is preheating, slice tofu as shown in the photo below and heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Once oven is preheated, place veggies in oven and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Cook tofu in the skillet until golden brown as shown below, adding olive oil as needed. I sprinkle Tony’s on one side while the other side browns. I only do this for one side.
- While tofu cooks, whisk together tahini ingredients until smooth and set aside.
- Once all ingredients are done, create your bowl by layering the quinoa on the bottom, mixing the veggies and tofu in the middle, and topping with the tahini sauce.
- As always, when making tofu I highly recommend using a tofu press. It is one of our favorite kitchen items we own. Press the tofu for about 20 to 30 minutes – the longer, the better.
- I recommend using fresh as oppose to frozen for all veggies in this dish.
- *You can substitute rice or roasted chickpeas for the quinoa if you prefer.
- Always taste as you go! Tony’s seasoning is a key ingredient in almost all of my recipes, but it does contain a lot of salt. When using the seasoning you shouldn’t have to add too much of your own salt.
2 thoughts on “Easy Veggie Tofu Bowl”